Oh the things I’ve learned. I’ve learned about myself, business and life. I’ve learned from my own experiences. I’ve learned from clients and through their experiences. I’ve learned from other coaches and other business owners. The knowledge one can gain in 10 years of business is almost immeasurable. The transformation makes one almost unrecognizable--at least from the inside out. While the changes may not be visible from the outside, being your own boss will for sure change you from the inside out.
My top 10 lessons.
A few things I’d totally do again if I was just starting my business and a few things I’ve changed as my business has grown.
1. Go Against The Grain, It’ll Be OK
2. Your Business Name Does Not Need To Say What You Do
3. Your Spouse Is Doing The Best He Knows How, Give Him A Break
4. You Can’t Build A Personal Brand Without YOU
5. DIY Is Not A Bad Option, But Others Can Lead You To Believe It Is
6. TRUST YOURSELF, You Know More Than You Believe You Do
7. You’re Going To Learn Things In The Wrong Order: Learning to put together an e-mail newsletter campaign before anyone even knows about you doesn’t help. Putting together an e-mail marketing campaign before you full step into your area of expertise and see yourself as a leader is an honest waste of time and money.
8. Your business is a living organism and is meant to change. Let your business evolve
9. Boundaries must be set in order for success to be achieved
- Having contracts
- Managing client behavior is about saving relationships but is also a self accountability system for us
10. Just because you can do something for someone doesn’t mean you should.