I became a business owner at age 17, so I’ve always had the entrepreneurial spirit. But when I started coaching, I found that I struggled with how to market myself in this new endeavor.
So I did what most women do in my position: I started talking to my family, bouncing ideas off friends and searching Google for the magic secrets. I quickly found out that while my husband had co-owned a custom home construction business and had 10+ years of sales experience, he was not the one to talk to.
I reached out to my father who has owned his own successful real estate business for more than 30 years, surely he would be able to provide me with a solid sounding board -- nope!
Talking to my husband and father about business just didn’t work.
- It was putting a strain on my marriage because I wasn’t using my husband’s ideas. (Litter cars in a shopping center parking lot with flyers about my coaching services? Really!?)
- My dad thought money was the solution and invested a good chunk of cash that didn’t really do anything to help me build packages or find my ideal client. (It did help me pay someone to design a website -- unfortunately, that was my first business mistakes.)
- Then I went to my best friend -- Google. Oh man! That only caused more confusion and more doubt about my abilities to be my own boss. There was (and still is) so much conflicting information. People use different words and yet mean the same thing. The same idea is presented so obscurely we think it’s two completely different concepts. UGH!
Now don't get me wrong, the money was helpful. But, I certainly didn't need more marketing suggestions (it only added to the confusion and frustration). Besides, if the marketing suggestions were outside my comfort zone it didn’t matter how great they were -- I wasn’t going to fully implement them anyway.
That’s when I started to try and break it all down. I wanted to make business and marketing easier for me (and others) to understand. I wanted it to be simpler to implement.
So I created my own coaching system. The same system I use today -- but with constant tweaks. With each client I tweak, adjust and add to the program. It's a program that gets better and better with age (much like a fine wine.)
Lessons of My Business Journey
& Insights From Coaching Hundreds of Business Owners
Every woman business owner at some point is:
- Confused by 100 different ways to do the same thing
- Stuck in their own way, spinning in ideas and emotions
- Struggling to articulate their business vision
- Feeling less than confident about telling others what they do
- Unsure where to find their ideal client
- Unclear on who they serve, how to serve them and how to price their services
- Befuzzled, thinking, “I don’t know if I’m doing this right”
- Realizing that owning a business is much more than simply serving clients
- Motivated to make their business dreams a reality
- Striving to experience meaning and satisfaction
- Excited for an adventure most women wouldn’t dare start
- Focused on building a lifestyle that provides personal fulfillment, financial stability, family flexibility and doesn’t leave them emotionally burnt out
- Nervous about tapping into their own creativity
- Wanting to pave their own way
- Eager to try everything
- Excited to use their skills
- Ready to learn, explore, discover and create