Not everything in business is rainbows and unicorns, but I’ve found that focusing on the positive keeps the momentum going. In my Surge Coaching Program we make it a point to create a "Ta-Da List" each Friday so we can end the week on a high note as we look at our achievements for the year.
I find it valuable to do an annual Awesome List too. It gives me so much joy to see what I’ve accomplished over the last 12 months and sets me up to create goals for the next year.
The purpose of the list isn’t to analyze our successes, but rather to recognize and acknowledge them. The list doesn’t have to be fancy or super detailed. Just allow your brain to recognize what you’ve done so it knows it can continue the momentum.
I know you probably have a lot of goals for the new year. It can be intimidating to look at that list, wondering how you’ll get it all done. But when you take the time to create a Weekly Ta-Da List and an Annual Awesome List, your brain will start to understand what you can really accomplish. And you’ll be motivated to start working through your new list.
Here’s a look at some of the things on my 2017 Awesome List. Maybe you’ll see some of your own successes through my list, or maybe you’ll be inspired to add something to your 2018 goals list. Whatever you do, don’t play the comparison game. It helps no one (especially you!).
MY AWESOME LIST (2017)
- I took a trip to Canada--my first official “vacation trip” since starting my business in 2006.
- We put new windows in my house.
- I lost weight and improved my health.
- I was able to watch connections grow in my Sparks Mastermind.
- We finished our kitchen remodel.
- I saw ___ out of ___ clients increase their income this year.
- I had clients sign up for longer-term commitments
- Received my first video testimonials from clients.
- I expanded my services.
- Had my first request for a paid speaking gig.
- We got a new front door and garage door.
- We welcomed Rylee, a 10-month old stray poodle mix, into our family.
- I drafted a year-long content marketing plan for 2018.
- I created my signature look and a closet that supports it.
Of course, some of the things on my list were unplanned (like the new pooch and the speaking gig) and some were long-term projects I had been working on for a while. Your Awesome List doesn’t need to be filled with big financial achievements or life-changing events. Sometimes it’s the little things that really make the biggest difference in our mindset and motivation.
Now it’s your turn. Grab a journal or open a Google Doc and create your own awesome list. Here are some tips to help you out:
- Look at your calendar and walk back through your year. Did you attend any awesome events? How many ideal client appointments did you have?
- Look at your testimonials. What did your clients say about you? What did they achieve because of working with you? Did any of them refer others to you? How many?
- Did you go anywhere? Conferences? Vacations? Network meetings?
- Look around your home and office. Did you make any improvements? Did you remove any clutter that has helped you feel more at peace or productive?
- Ask those around you. Check-in with your mastermind group, your friends and your significant other. Ask them what they think could go on your awesome list.
I’d love for you to share your 2017 Awesome List with me! Send me an email with “2017 Awesome List” in the subject line!