7 Ideas to get you more business testimonials from your clients
Yes, every once in awhile a client or customer will give you a testimonial without you asking but.. if you ask for testimonials you'll get them more often than every once in awhile.
2. MAKE IT A HABIT, A ROUTINE, A PART OF YOUR PROCESS
Make asking for testimonials a habit, routine or part of the process and you will keep consistent and gain more testimonials which will lead to more clients/customers. Maybe at the end of every session/meeting with a client you ask them to share their experience or maybe a few days after you drop off their products you send them an email or give them a phone call and ask how the products are working. At the end of your events or presentations have attendees fill out a survey/feedback form and include a box saying you can use the content of their answers as a testimonial.
Likely your clients/customers are already giving you testimonials and you're just not hearing them. If your client tells you "I really love my mascara." that is a testimonial. If they say "Wow, I never thought of _____ like that", that is a testimonial. Start listening to your clients/customers as they are likely already sharing testimonials with you and all you have to do is listen, write it down and get their permission.
4.BE THE INTERVIEWER
Simply asking for a testimonial might get you one but it is not likely to get you the most powerful one possible. Ask your clients/customers specific questions about their experience and jot down their responses then compile their responses into testimonials... from one five minute interview you could gather several short testimonials from the same client or have one intense testimonial. (See example questions below)
5. AUTOMATE IT!
Create a client questionnaire that you send to all of your clients/customers. For example: Maybe after you work with them one time you ask them 2-3 questions you ask all of your new clients or after maybe after their first purchase or maybe it's after you have worked with them for one month or they have had their product(s) for one month. You could even gather a testimonial after the first service/product delivery and after 3 months using two different questionnaires. Who knows.. you might decide to use something like surveymonkey.com and just send a link via e-mail or maybe you'll set it up through a program like mailchimp and have it set to go out automatically.
6.HAVE SOMEONE ELSE DO IT:
Have someone else contact your clients for you and do the "interview." Sometimes you'll get the most honest responses if someone else contacts your clients/customers and asks the questions. You could hire a virtual assistant to do it for you or you could swap with one of your entrepreneurial colleagues.. they call your clients/customers and you call their client/customers.
7. OBTAIN PERMISSION:
If you plan to use the testimonial with the client’s name or if the testimonial has information that would make your client/customer identifiable be sure to have your client/customer sign a testimonial/media release form.
Here are a few examples of questions you can use to obtain powerful testimonials
- Would you recommend our product/service? If so who would you recommend it to and why?
- Is someone asked you about our product/service what would you tell them?
- What was your initial reaction to or thoughts of (insert service or product) ?
- What is your current reaction to or thoughts of(insert service or product)?
- What skills have you learned from (insert service or product)?
- What knowledge have you gained from (insert service or product)?
- Before (insert service or product) how would you describe your (insert what you have helped them with or what your product is for) ?
- Now after (insert service or product) how would you describe your (insert what you have helped them with or what your product is for)?
- Describe the changes you have seen in your overall attitude since starting (insert service or product)?
- Describe any behavior changes that you have made in your life since starting (insert service or product)?
- What would you say the overall impact of (insert service or product) has been on your life?
- What results have you found because of (insert service or product)?
- How would you rate the results you have obtained through (insert service or product) verses your financial investment?
- What have you liked most about (insert service or product)?
- On a scale of 1 to 10 how would you rate (insert service or product) with 1 being a waste of your time and money and 10 being 100% valuable for your time and money?
- In comparison to other (insert service or product) that you have experienced/used how would you rate ours?
- If you were able to talk to someone else who is thinking about buying (insert service or product)what would you say to them
- If you could only use 3 words to describe your experience with (insert service or product) what 3 words would you use?
- Why did you start using (insert service or product) and why do you continue using (insert service or product).
- What has (insert service or product) lead you to discover/realize